At Digium, we have a saying that green is really the new orange. That’s why St. Patrick’s Day gives us one more opportunity to celebrate being green…and orange! And, whether you’re wearing your favorite tie with shamrocks on it, or you forgot to add some green to your wardrobe this morning, you can still enjoy today’s “green” blog theme.
For starters, did you know that by recycling just one ton of paper, we can save…17 mature trees, 7,000 gallons of water, three cubic yards of landfill space, two barrels of oil, and 4,100 kilowatt-hours of electricity? That’s according to a 2008 from the Environmental Protection Agency. It certainly reinforces what a difference a single action, such as recycling paper, can make.
This example is one of the many reasons that all of us at Digium are serious about decreasing our carbon footprint. As a company, Digium is green from the way that we recycle paper, plastic, and aluminum to the way our office is built. We also make a continuous effort to decrease electrical and water usage. Not to mention, the green initiatives we adopted into our product design and our equipment recycling practices mean that we help our customers go green, too.
In the spirit of being green, here are five simple ways Digium adds sustainability into our company’s business practices. And, at least some of these are also steps you can take toward your green efforts in 2011:
1. Decrease office paper, process paper/plastics and cardboard – Recycle more and print less. For example, Digium saves paper by making all of our literature and product documents available online. We have goals in place to decrease the amount of paper printed by roughly 50%.
2. Conserving lighting and electricity usage – Our building was designed to incorporate an energy-efficient lighting system that is on a schedule, along with the heating and cooling system. Aside from the building design, Digium has implemented practices that have decreased our internal electricity usage by approximately 1,500KWh per day.
3. Decreasing water usage – We implement filters to recondition water to a reusable state. While it may seem small this does make a big difference, considering how water can be used in our soldering processes that are part of our product design. Without reconditioning, this water would be purged into the environment.
4. Minimize waste and recycle electronic components – We have an extensive list of how to reduce rubbish and waste. As an example, one area includes product design where we recycle packaging trays, PCB materials, wire and copper. Even the soldering process has been factored in as part of waste reduction efforts.
5. Designing lead-free and environmentally-friendly products – And, when it comes to product design, Digium is RoHS-compliant and manufactures environmentally-friendly products that free of lead and other hazardous materials.
These are just a few of the ways that we try to make a difference for the environment and reduce our carbon footprint. Because at Digium, green is really the new orange and we want to continue developing products and implementing business practices for a brighter, more sustainable future!
Is your business making an effort towards corporate sustainability? Leave us a comment and let us know what you’re doing to be green.
And, to all of our Irish readers, as well as our many other friends enjoying St Patrick’s Day – “Cheers!”