Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, there falls yet another shopping holiday: Small Business Saturday. American Express came up with the idea to encourage people across the country to avoid the chaos surrounding the big-box stores and Shop Small® to support their local businesses and community. Since Small Business Saturday started, U.S. customers have reported spending an estimated total of $85 billion at independent retailers and restaurants over eight days alone.
According to American Express, it’s a “day for everyone- from business owners who create jobs to the customers who buy locally- to support small businesses that invigorate the economy and keep communities thriving.”
And thrive they do. 90% of consumers surveyed said Small Business Saturday has had a positive impact on their community.
So how can you make the most of this Small Business Saturday?
Here are some tips for promoting within your community:
- Send out invitations to your existing customers via email or Facebook event. Offer them an exclusive promotion or discount code as a sign of appreciation for their support.
- Open your doors an hour early or stay open late to make it even easier for customers to shop at your business. Promote this early so they can plan their day accordingly.
- Offer a special discount or gift “for the first 100 shoppers.” Make sure to have them fill out a form so you can keep in touch with your follow-up marketing.
- Submit a press release to your local media including the story of your business, the importance of shopping local, and include any discounts or promotions you will be offering.
- Promote on social media using the official holiday hashtag, #ShopSmall.
- Advertise your store using paid ads on Instagram and Facebook and make them festive! Instead of using all of your budget on one ad, try making different ads. Find out which ones get the most engagement, and use those. Ditch the ones that don’t.
- Download materials you can customize and use to prepare for the big day! American Express is offering official #ShopSmall promotional materials for free.
- Remember to show your appreciation and thank your customers at the end of the day. After all, without them you wouldn’t have a business! Send them an email, post on social media, and send the big spenders a handwritten thank you card.
A large majority of our customers are SMB owners, and their success is important to us. From all of us here at Digium, we hope you have a happy and successful Small Business Saturday!
Click here to see how we help small businesses every day save money, increase productivity, and improve customer satisfaction.